Chatham dates back to 1793 when Lieutenant Governor John Graves Simcoe was exploring the southwestern frontier. The actual construction of residential buildings began in the early 1800’s.
In 1819 a small wooden church with a simple spire was built on Gaol Street (today’s Stanley Avenue) on the banks of the Thames River. It was named St. Paul’s Church.
The present church property on Wellington Street was purchased for $1,482 and the church was completed at a cost of $8,000. At the official opening, in 1861, on the recommendation of Bishop Cronyn, the new church was renamed Christ Church.
As a continuing congregation, Christ Church is one of the oldest Anglican places of worship between Niagara-on- the-Lake and the Pacific Ocean.